Quick Escape
Help Line 262-652-9900
Help Line (toll free) 800-853-3503
Administration 262-656-3500

kenosha, wi

The mission of Women and Children's Horizons is to provide support, shelter, education, training and healing services to victims of sexual and domestic abuse, their families and the community.

What is Domestic Violence?

Many people who are being abused do not see themselves as victims. Abusers do not see themselves as being abusive. People often think of domestic violence as physical in nature, however domestic violence takes other forms such as verbal, psychological, emotional, or sexual abuse.

• Domestic violence is about one person in a relationship using a pattern of behaviors to control the other person.
• Violence can occur at any time in a relationship and usually escalates over time.
• Alcohol or drug abuse does not cause violence, but can contribute to the escalation.





This is an order of protection issued by the Circuit Court to require a responding party not to have contact with you and expects them to refrain from committing acts against you that are physically abusive, harassing and intimidating.       

You may be eligible to file a Restraining Order in Kenosha if either party lives in Kenosha County or the incident occurred in Kenosha County.

If it is an emergency, dial 911 for police assistance. If you have a question, call 262-653-2767 or our 24 hour crisis line at 262-652-9900.


Domestic Abuse, Harassment, Child Abuse and Individual at Risk


If you have any questions on how to complete or file a restraining order please contact us. Advocates are available to answer your questions by phone. Restraining order assistance is also available in the lower level of the Kenosha County Courthouse (LL36).  Call 262-653-2767 for information. If there is no answer, please leave a message and someone will return your call.

The courthouse is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.  Please leave yourself two hours to complete and file the paperwork and to allow the commissioner/judge time to review your petition before the end of the day. 

Bring the following with you in order to complete and file the  restraining order  paperwork at the courthouse:

  • Valid picture ID
  • Address and date of birth (or approximate age) of  the person who will be served
  • Timeline of events related to abusive behavior
  • Police reports, medical records, photographs
  • Any court papers you have in your possession. For example, custody and/or parenting orders, lease agreement, divorce papers, or information on criminal record.


This will help law enforcement execute the Restraining Order if there is a violation



• Tell the police every time the stalker makes contact with you.
• Keep a book with you at all times to record the contacts.  Document times if they allow the phone to ring repeatedly or   continuously regardless of whether or not a conversation occurred.
• Save phone messages, text messages or e-mails.

Print any social media postings, i.e. facebook messages
• Save any letters, notes, or gifts from the stalker
• Write down personal information about the stalker, physical attributes, kind of car they drive, and license plate number.


Safety Planning         

If you feel intimidated or threatened, go to a room or area that has access to an exit. 

  • Keep a charged phone with you to call 911, family, friends or neighbor if necessary. WCH provides emergency phones for 911 use. 
  • Develope a plan on how to leave your home safely.
  • Keep a bag that contains important documents, medications, etc.in a safe place.  This may be in your home, car,or at a family/friend’s house.
  • Use a safe word or phrase with your children alerting them to call the police or to leave the home. This should be practiced with children.

You will need the following forms of identification and information for you and your children.

  • Birth certificates, driver’s license, Social Security card, work permit, green card, passport, divorce or custody papers, insurance papers, medical records, lease, rental agreement, and/or house deed
  • Money, bank books, checkbooks, credit cards, ATM cards, and mortgage payment book
  • Keys for the house, car, or office
  • Medications, glasses, hearing aids, or other devices needed for you, your children, or grandchildren.


  • Change passwords on phone / computer and financial accounts.
  • Lock phone/computer.
  • Turn off GPS phone tracking – call provider if you need more information.
  • Block partner on social media sites – i.e. facebook, twitter, instagram.
  • Keep all electronic communications (i.e. text/facebook messages).
  • Print or screen shot messages.

 Contact Information:

Kenosha Police & Sheriff's Department Emergency ------------- 911
Kenosha Police Department Non-Emergency ---------------------- 262-656-1234
Kenosha Sheriff's Department--------------------------------------------- 262-605-5100
Kenosha Human Development Services (Crisis Intervention) 262-657-7188
Women and Children's Horizons Support Service---------------- 262- 656-3500
24 Hour Crisis Line ----------------------------------1-800-853-3503 or 262-652-9900

 Women and Children’s Horizons advocates are available to help you and your family. Contact the Support Services Office at 262-656-3500, Monday thru Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for further information or for an appointment. You can also call our crisis line 24 hours a day at 262-652-9900 or 1-800-853-3503. Services are free and confidential. Services are offered for non-English speaking clients. 

Helpful links:

Click here to read 2014-2020 Long Range Plan for a Safe Wisconsin

Click here to read the 2017 Domestic Violence Homicide Report

Wisconsin Coalition Against Domestic Violence

Family Violence Project